History of Sleepy Hollow, San Anselmo

“Sleepy Hollow, Marin County, California” on @Wikipedia: “History In 1838, Domingo Sais received a land grant from General Mariano Vallejo known as Canada de Herrera, which consisted of 6,659 acres covering what is now Sleepy Hollow, Fairfax and segments of San Anselmo.[10] In the 1850s, Sais leased the majority of the land that is now Sleepy Hollow to Harvey Butterfield. Butterfield started a dairy farm on the land and the long, winding 2-mile trail that is still to this day the only way in and out of the inclusive community, became known as “Butterfield’s Road.” The next person to acquire the land was a man named Peter Austin who was responsible for planting the multitude of poplar and eucalyptus trees that now line the road.[11] Due to foreclosure, Austin was forced to sell the land to the Hotalings, a wealthy family from San Francisco. The Hotalings built a lavish mansion at the end of the two-mile road, and named it “Sleepy Hollow” in honor of the famous tale written by their friend, author Washington Irving. The Hotalings threw many elaborate parties for hundreds of guests, but soon left the mansion and returned to San Francisco. The next owner of the mansion was Sigmund Herzog who founded a dairy farm on the property. Later a Chicago syndicate bought the land and attempted to create a luxury hotel complete with golf course, pool, and private man-made lake, but this idea quickly fell through due to the stock market crash prior to The Great Depression. David Nolen Swaim Owner Tam Realty Inc DRE-1070789 609 San Anselmo Ave San Anselmo CA 94960 415-710-5504 www.tamrealty.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *