San Anselmo’s Roots

The quiet valley in Marin County that would eventually become San Anselmo once made up part of three Mexican land grants given to Domingo Sais, John Rogers Cooper (also known as Juan Bautista Cooper) and Timothy Murphy. The region’s transformation from bucolic to residential started with the division of Sais and Murphy’s properties after each died in 1853, and with the purchase of Cooper’s property by James Ross in 1857. On his new land, Ross built Linda Vista, a large white farmhouse with a water tower, small pond and lush trees, with Mount Tamalpais as its backdrop. By 1874, passengers were pulling up their horses and buggies to a simple station of the North Pacific Coast Railroad. They boarded trains traveling between San Rafael and Sausalito, where they could catch a ferry to San Francisco. Called Junction, the area attracted families who initially stayed at Linda Vista, operating as a hotel, before settling into new homes. Junction’s population continued to increase with the San Francisco Theological Seminary’s relocation there in 1892, and San Franciscans moving permanently to their summer homes after the 1906 earthquake and fire. Eventually becoming known as San Anselmo, it incorporated as a town in 1907. The San Anselmo Historical Museum is an excellent resource for learning more about the community. Its collection includes photographs, rotating displays and the memories of residents shared through audio and video oral histories. It also offers a self-guided, historical walking tour that offers more than 50 points of interest, including the Robson-Harrington Park. David Nolen Swaim Owner Tam Realty Inc DRE-1070789 609 San Anselmo Ave San Anselmo CA 94960 415-710-5504 www.tamrealty.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *